Thursday, May 10, 2012

Greetings from the Future!


I feel like I owe it to those of my friends who I don't get much skype time with to ensure that I am doing well and adjusting as best as I can to my new life. =]

Now, I'm not really one for artsy photos, never one to remember to whip out my camera at the sight of a lovely table spread or an interesting view. But I do have some pictures.

For instance:
This is where I'm staying for the next few days before heading on to Maydolong. 
The Ormeo family has lived within the First Baptist Church of Manila for many years and being able to be here again makes me remember that the Philippines is where my roots reach to. So as much as I may feel like a fish out of water. The truth is that history is what binds me to this place and it's what is going to get me through.

Walking outside you see different apartments advertising that they are for rent and they come in an array of different colors. Looking at some of them I picture RJ, Kata, and I living in one. Haha maybe one day.
This is my room. This is where I always stay when I come here and it's very nicely air conditioned, so much so that sometimes I forget that I'm far away from home. But I also remember how blessed I am and how simply pleasures like "air-con" are not to be taken for granted.

I am desperately trying to stay hydrated. One piece of advice that has been consistent is to make sure that the water I am drinking is from a bottle I opened myself, so that's what I've been doing. Also, I find that being properly hydrated is REALLY important, especially here.

The food, as always, is delicious. Rice, meat, fruit, vegetables. Seem similar enough to home, but trust me it's not. Somehow everything tastes different in a way that I can't really describe. Maybe it's the fresh air or the lack of pre-packaging...but it's all good and this was one area that I didn't not have trouble adapting to.

The company is different, but the Biblical theology I am privy to is always stimulating. Plus, any exposure I can get to the language where I am actively trying to make sense of things is for the better.

And of course, my favorite desserts don't hurt. mMmMm Ube ice cream.
 

And of course there are the infamous malls of the Philippines. Multiple levels of intense colors, neon lights, various restaurants with a Filipino spin on it. (only in the Philippines is Pizza Hut high end looking)

Merchandise that reminds me of home and the friends who I wish could be here with me.

But also, new opportunities to fellowship in familiar/not so familiar ways.

I say this because, unlike back home, you get to pick where you want to sit and there are so many different eateries in front of the theater doors that you get a little overwhelmed.

But anyway, Hopefully I'll have more pictures tomorrow when we go to "1, 6, 8" which is a big outdoor/indoor bazaar basically where you get clothes, toys, really anything for cheap. I am in search of "teacher" clothes, but I guess it'll depend on if this rain lets up.

It just got crazy windy and rainy all of a sudden, making me surprised that I have internet right now. But, again, PTL for the little pleasures in life, like a safe place to be in this weather. Lord knows I saw so many children just sitting on the side of the road while I was walking to Trinoma today. Hopefully, everyone has taken shelter.

Alright, well, that's it for now. Hope to update again real soon. =]

-Later Days





1 comment:

richelle jean said...

I love you so much! please keep updating this, I will be reading it frequently and checking it! and, skype date soon please :) we can work something out.