Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You would think...

That after graduating with a bachelor's degree in creative writing I would be able to stand strong in the face of those naysayers that said it was a stupid major to get into. But no. As much of an accomplishment as it may be, people still don't get it.

Okay, first off, fanfiction isn't lame. I hate when people say that. Or when people give you that, "are you serious?" look. Because, you know what? Writing fanfiction is a worthwhile form of writing. Why?

Because fanfiction writers ARE writing, which is more than I can say for some "actual" writers.
Fanfiction writers write for the love and the passion they have for the characters, the story, the universe. Fanfiction writers don't write for money or for fame or, even for reviews, because, let's face it, a bunch reviews doesn't get you much other than a bunch of reviews.

Fanfiction provides the framework to practice the ideas that need test driving and, when you learn to not let reviews fuel your ego and instead humbly say "thank you" for the compliment. Then you can go on and fully realize what a good piece of writing looks like and what a bad piece of writing looks like. Once that's done, you'll be able to see whether or not what you're writing is good or bad.

*sigh*

People think, if you're writing then you should write your own story with your own characters, all original. But the reality is that nothing is original anymore. Everything is based off of something off of something off of something. And sometimes, with that fact, it's difficult to feel anything but pressure to be...something that is impossible to be.

-_-x I just hate the eye roll. The teasing. Writing is writing. I don't write to be famous. To be rich. I write to write because I love it. I love the characters, the story, the universe. And all the practice I get from writing fanfiction, enables me to get a better grip on my personal stories that I want to share and teaches me how to love them and write them too.

No comments: